Sertraline is used to treat a variety of ailments, such as anxiety, panic attacks and depression. Despite this, there is much confusion regarding its benefits, and its interaction with CBD.
Therefore, in this article we will explain what sertraline consists of, and what side effects it produces when combined with cannabidiol. We will also see the recommended dosage, and the possible adverse effects of its consumption.
Showing 1–8 of 25 results
What is Sertraline used for?
Like Fluoxetine and Citalopram, Sertraline is an antidepressant that belongs to the group of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs).
Today, a large number of mental health problems, such as depression, obsessive compulsive disorder, panic attacks, anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder, are treated with Sertraline.
Although it is not known with certainty how these types of antidepressants work, scientists believe that SSRIs have the ability to increase serotonin activity. As a result, mood, emotions and sleep are improved.
What is the recommended dose of sertraline?
Commercially, sertraline can be found under the name Besitran. However, in many countries, this antidepressant is available in tablets of sertraline 50 mg or 100 mg.
Regarding the dosage of sertraline, it is important to keep the following in mind:
- The dosage is different depending on the condition being treated.
- Generally, the physician recommends a low dose of sertraline, which is slowly increased if necessary.
- The objective is for the body to become accustomed to sertraline, thereby reducing possible side effects.
- In all cases it is recommended to take sertraline as prescribed by the physician.
- The label on the medication usually indicates the amount of sertraline to be consumed, as well as the frequency, and other additional recommendations.
Sertraline can be taken once a day, either in the morning or in the evening, but it should always be at the same time every day. In addition, this antidepressant can be consumed with or without food, although it is recommended to avoid consuming large amounts of orange or grapefruit juice.
Never consume twice the recommended dose. On the other hand, it is important to keep in mind that it may take 4 to 6 weeks before the benefits of sertraline are noticed.
Sertraline side effects
The following are some of the better known adverse effects of sertraline:
- Increased sweating.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Dry mouth.
- Difficulty falling asleep.
- Sensation of drowsiness.
- Trouble concentrating.
- Weight gain or loss.
- Loss of libido or sexual desire.
- Changes in the menstrual cycle.
- Feeling less or more hungry than usual.
- A feeling of faintness or extreme tiredness.
- Suicidal behaviors.
- Accelerated heart rate.
- Stiff or contracted muscles.
Can I take Sertraline and CBD at the same time?
CBD cannabidiol has become famous for its potential health benefits, including its ability to treat depression. Additionally, many CBD users usually combine it with other medications, as they believe that this will enhance its effects.
As a result, people are now wondering if you can take CBD and Sertraline at the same time. After all, both drugs can be used to treat depression, although in the case of CBD, it is considered a natural antidepressant.
What has been discovered to date, however, is that the interaction of CBD with sertraline may worsen the following side effects:
- Difficulty concentrating.
In the case of the elderly, evidence suggests that such interaction may also lead to impaired judgment and thinking, as well as motor coordination problems.
Despite this, there are not enough scientific studies to accurately state that this is the case. What is a fact is that sertraline requires enormous metabolization to eliminate the drugs from the body.
The problem with this is that CBD is characterized by inhibiting a large number of metabolizing enzymes. Because of this, a dangerously high concentration of sertraline in the body can result.
In other words, because CBD inhibits metabolizing enzymes, more sertraline stays in the body, which can be toxic, causing adverse side effects.
Ultimately, it is best to consult with a medical specialist regarding the effects of combining sertraline and CBD.
Aspects you should take into account if you take Sertraline
Fluoxetine is often thought to be slimming, and the truth is that, like sertraline, it also reduces appetite. In some people that can translate into weight loss.
In addition to the above, if your doctor has recommended taking sertraline to treat depression, it is important that you consider the following:
- Alcohol may increase the risk of adverse effects such as lack of concentration or drowsiness. Therefore, it is recommended to limit alcohol consumption if you are taking sertraline.
- On the other hand, it is also recommended to avoid driving, and to avoid activities in which you need to remain alert, until you find out how the drug affects you.
- You should also notify your physician immediately if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or planning to become pregnant.
- In addition to the interaction with CBD already mentioned, sertraline may also interact with other medications. The most common are anticoagulants and anti-inflammatory drugs such as Ibuprofen, recreational drugs, and herbal supplements.
- If you have diabetes, you will most likely need to monitor your blood glucose more frequently. This is because sertraline can directly influence blood sugar levels.
Now you know a little more about sertraline, its uses, side effects, and its interaction with CBD. Beyond the fact that doctors recommend sertraline to treat depression, it is important to find out the possible risks of combining its consumption with other antidepressants, even if they are of natural origin.
CBD for studying
Did you know that you can use CBD to study and improve your academic performance? Enter to find out how CBD helps you study better!
Is CBD oil safe during pregnancy and breastfeeding?
Pregnancy and breastfeeding are very delicate times for the health of mother and baby, so many substances are not compatible with the process. If this is your case and you are not sure about the effects that CBD oil can have on your body, you should know this...
What is Bisabolol, and what are its benefits?
Bisabolol, a cannabinoid that despite being little known, is known to have enormous medicinal potential Enter now!
Subscribe to our newsletter
Subscribe and receive a 10% discount on your purchase.